Monday, June 17, 2019

Careless Copy and Paste in Previous Post

Regular readers will have noted from my posts here, on my personal Facebook page, on my website and on my BLOG that I am not a fan of popular Bible translations without careful checking using literal translations.

Popular translations produced by a single Christian denomination have obvious leanings towards the doctrines promoted by that denomination, and those produced by a team composed of several denominations can be doctrinally bland because of their need to ensure that all team members' doctrinal positions are not violated.

In particular, it's disappointing to see how the NIV has subtly changed its translation of verses that imply God's eventual reconciliation of all in its most recent versions.

Verses like Mark 3 : 28.

[NIV 1984 version] I tell you the truth, all the sins and blasphemies of men will be forgiven them.
[NIV 2011 version] Truly, I tell you, people can be forgiven for all their sins and every slander they utter.

Notice the subtle change from will be forgiven to can be forgiven in the more modern version. There is no translation support for such a change, only a doctrinal one.

In my post "Which Sin is Without Pardon?" I fell into the trap of trying to quote the most recent NIV version for my readers without checking for its accuracy. 

The point I was trying to make in that post was centred on verse 29 and I carelessly copied in verse 28 for context, without my usual check against a literal translation.

Apologies to my readers. I am usually more accurate and careful than that.

By the way, most popular translations find it difficult to "doctrinalise" verses that state rather than imply God's eventual reconciliation of all, as that would be too difficult to get past diligent readers.

Verses like ...

This is why we labor and strive, because we have put our hope in the living God, who is the Savior of all people, and especially of those who believe.
[1 Timothy 4 : 10]
For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him (Jesus), and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross.
[Colossians 1 : 19 - 20]

Although the NIV (New International Version) translates these correctly, I am beginning to understand why some people call the NIV the New Incorrect Version.
This especially relates to the consistently incorrect translations regarding age and eternity and their adjectival forms in the New Testament, and Hades and hell throughout the whole Bible.


If you're interested, you can find substantial writings on these on this BLOG, and on my website at https://www.ibtechservices.com.au.

Again apologies for my carelessness in the previous post.
Blessings, Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment

All relevant comments are most welcome. However, please express any disagreement you might have without being disagreeable and with grace towards those who might not hold your point of view.