Friday, March 26, 2021

The Myth of Freewill

For many years I have discussed and written about several topics that seem to arouse strong negative responses from fellow Christians.
 
For example, in the chapter titled 'God's Supreme Sovereignty' in "The Really Good News About God", I discuss the myth of mankind's freewill.

I don't have a problem with the "will" part, but with the "free" part, and I use events in the lives of several Biblical personalities to illustrate this myth - Job, Jonah, Joseph, Saul/Paul.

In my Gospel reading for today, I bumped into another excellent example in Matthew 26.
Peter was determined to stand by Jesus, no matter what.

"Even if all fall away on account of you, I never will."
"Even if I have to die with you, I will never disown you."
[Matthew 26: 33, 35  NIV]

However, Jesus knew better; he knew what was to eventuate.
To his disciples, he said:

"This very night you will all fall away on account of me."
[Matthew 26 : 31  NIV]

To Peter he said:

"Truly I tell you, this very night, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times."
[Matthew 26 : 34  NIV]

And, of course, Jesus was correct. Peter's determined will was overridden by what had been previously ordained to happen.

... those standing there went up to Peter and said, "Surely you are one of them; your accent gives you away".
Then he began to call down curses, and he swore to them, "I don't know the man!"
Immediately a rooster crowed.
[Matthew 26 : 73, 74  NIV]

The thought that God might be sovereign over his creation is scary to some people, foolishness to others and a challenge to the supposed integrity, independence and freewill of others.

However, like every creator or inventor in the earthly realm, God ensures his creation fulfils the purpose for which he created it.

For that I am very thankful.
Why?
Because it means that whatever God has decided will happen, must happen, regardless of the will or plans of others.

Many are the plans in a person's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails.
[Proverbs 19 : 21  NIV]

And what is God's purpose in creating the heavens and the earth?

He (God) made known to us the mystery of his will according to his good pleasure, which he purposed in Christ, to be put into effect when the times reach their fulfilment - to bring unity to all things in heaven and on earth under Christ.
[Ephesians 1 : 9, 10  NIV]
 

And Jesus promised to do the heavy lifting to get the job done.
As well as paying the death penalty for our sin, he took the responsibility of bringing all people to himself over the course of time to complete God's unity plan.
Jesus said:

And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself.
[John 12 : 32  NIV]

It seems to me that anyone who does not believe God will achieve what he has planned, does not believe God is sovereign - is in total charge of his universe.

Even so, I know many Christians who say they believe God is sovereign and yet expect billions of people to "out-will" God and thwart his plan to save and unite the world. Go figure.

The only freewill in the entire universe is God's !!

Blessings, Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment

All relevant comments are most welcome. However, please express any disagreement you might have without being disagreeable and with grace towards those who might not hold your point of view.