Friday, April 3, 2020

Reconciliation of All

I am sometimes asked if I am a universalist. I don't like this word because it has so many different meanings.
Saying "yes" might mean I am agreeing to a meaning that is in the mind of the questioner, with which I might not agree.
So I try not to give a straight "yes" or "no" answer without sounding evasive.
Instead I say something like:

I believe God is the Saviour of the world (1 Timothy 4 : 10)
    through Jesus,

who died for the sins of the world (1 John 2 : 2)
    meaning that
God is no longer holding our sins against us (2 Corinthians 5 : 19)

Jesus will return when it is time to restore everything (Acts 3 : 21)
    by
drawing everyone to himself (John 12 : 32),
destroying his enemies (1 Corinthians 15 : 25),
including death (1 Corinthians 15 : 26),
so that only life will remain (1 Corinthians 15 : 22).

Everyone will eventually honour King Jesus (Philippians 2 : 9 - 11)
who will then hand his kingdom over to God (1 Corinthians 15 :  24).

God having brought unity to everything in heaven and earth (Ephesians 1 : 9 - 10),
thus having established a new heaven and new earth (2 Peter 3 : 13),
becomes everything to everyone (1 Corinthians 15 : 28).

So, am I a universalist?
Only if being a universalist means I believe the Bible teaches the universal reconciliation of all through Jesus. (Colossians 1 : 19 - 20)
And in our current coronavirus-induced climate of uncertainty and fear, that's a comforting position to hold.


Blessings, Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment

All relevant comments are most welcome. However, please express any disagreement you might have without being disagreeable and with grace towards those who might not hold your point of view.