Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Another Bunch of Hypocrites

We have all heard many times the excuse for not coming to church as, "The church is full of hypocrites."  On hearing this, I would usually talk about our sinful weakness, even though we are saved, and the need for those in the church to be refined and matured towards God-likeness over time.

I still think this is true.  Yet, I think mainstream christianity has a lot to answer for nevertheless.

I have seen books written recently with titles like "How to Quit Church Without Quitting God", "So You Don't Want to go to Church Anymore",  "7 Biblical Truths You Won't Hear in Church", "I'm Fine with God ... It's Christians I Can't Stand", among others.  I have read several of these and have agreed with much that is in them.

It's interesting that the mainstream religion of the Old Covenant era was described in a similar fashion.  Isaiah reports that God accused Israel of being responsible for having his name constantly blasphemed. 
Ezekiel was just as damning.  "Therefore say to the house of Israel, 'This is what the Sovereign Lord says: It is not for your sake, O House of Israel, that I am going to do these things, but for the sake of my holy name, which you have profaned among the nations where you have gone.'"

Those familiar with the Bible are well aware of the ways in which Israel profaned God's name, but we are often blind to the ways we have done so.  We too, are guilty of the same hypocrisy they were.  We say one thing, and preach or act in a quite opposite way.

Mainstream christianity says that God loves us unconditionally, but then preaches that this is true only on the condition that we love him in return.
Mainstream christianity says that we are saved by grace alone, but then preaches that this is not true, we are required to take some action ourselves, and right now by the way.
Mainstream christianity says that God is the Saviour of all, but then preaches that most people will not be saved but will be tormented in hell forever.

What do not-yet-believers make of all of this?  How do they respond?  
Confused.  Frustrated.  Cynical.  Antagonistic.  Disinterested. 
I wonder why the mainstream churches are becoming empty and only the entertainment style churches are growing in the western world?  Any thinking outsider is more likely to respond with, "I'm fine with God... it's christians I can't stand," than join God's latest bunch of hypocrites.

Boy doesn't God take a risk in allowing humans to represent him?  Even when they are "his chosen" under the Old Covenant or "the saints" under the New.  It's pretty sobering to realise that the heathen are not accused of profaning God's name, only God's people.

I have been reluctant to expose this hypocrisy and share these Bible truths strongly in the past.  Why?
What would happen to the positions I hold, the respect of other christian leaders I enjoy or the close friendships I value?

I have my similarities with the first century followers of Jesus.
No-one would say anything publicly about Jesus at the Feast of Tabernacles celebrations for fear of the Jewish leaders, the leaders of the mainstream religion of the time. 
Joseph of Arimathea and Nicodemus buried Jesus' body secretly (probably at night) for fear of those same leaders.
On the evening of Jesus' resurrection, his disciples were meeting behind locked doors because of their fear of the Jewish leaders rather than proudly and publicly announcing the good news of Jesus being alive, having conquered death as he predicted he would.

So here I am with the good good news of God's unconditional love and extravagant grace that needs to be proudly and publicly announced and preached.  How am I to do this is my big question?

I have now retired and no longer hold any of those precious mainstream church positions.  Indeed, the more public I become about this, the more likely I am to remain retired. :-) The need to have the respect of other christian leaders is not as important as it was, and  friendships will surely sort themselves out as being close or not.

The proposed book will be the end result of the website that will be generated mainly from this blogsite.  The website and book will be widely advertised, even though the blog is only for friends.  That's as far as I have travelled with this question.  

Any suggestions?  Using the comments section under this post for brainstorming this over the next few months would be appreciated.  Barry.

2 comments:

  1. Test comment only to test notification "fix".

    ReplyDelete
  2. My email junk filter was tossing out notifications from the Blogsite. Now solved. Anyone else having similar problems?

    ReplyDelete

All relevant comments are most welcome. However, please express any disagreement you might have without being disagreeable and with grace towards those who might not hold your point of view.