Thursday, November 7, 2019

Another Prominent Universal Salvation Theologian

Can you remember back to the start of the year when I discovered a new New Testament, a recently published translation by David Bentley Hart?
You can read of my discovery in a February 2019 post here.


And later, in April, I shared how the introduction and postscript to the translation were such a bonus as well.
You can read that post here.
One of the highlights in these "bookends" was Hart's admission that as a result of his translation experience God's plan of universal salvation was confirmed for him.

However, even more excitement for me.
Hart has now just published a book called "That All Shall Be Saved" and subtitled "Heaven, Hell, and Universal Salvation", again published by Yale University.
My copy has just arrived from the USA.
And has it caused a storm over there!

Here's another very highly credentialled theologian "coming out" as a universalist - and the mainstream Christian academia is tearing into him, even though some are admitting "A brilliant treatment - exegetically, theologically, and philosophically" and "some of the most exciting, perspicuous and powerful theological writing I have read in recent years".


His introduction includes statements like: "if Christianity taken as a whole is indeed an entirely coherent and credible system of belief, then the universalist understanding of its message is the only one possible. And quite imprudently, I say that without the least hesitation or qualification."

As you know, I wrote a popular book geared for lay-people, including non-Christians, called "The Really Good News About God" several years ago and finally published in 2015, which presented the Biblical case in non-technical language for the eventual reconciliation of all through the death and resurrection of Jesus.

But Hart's new book is geared towards scholars trained in theology and/or philosophy and presents Biblical evidence and arguments at that level.
It is certainly not an easy read for people with no formal theological or philosophical training (like me) but I am enjoying the challenge of understanding his rhetorical arguments expressed in long, wordy sentences filled with unfamiliar vocabulary and technical asides (and surprising wit in such an academic volume).

When I finish this challenging adventure, I am hoping to be armed with new concepts and arguments to more rigorously flesh out the basic Biblical ones that I have been sharing in my book and website and this BLOG.


I'll keep you posted - but don't hold your breath waiting. 

This project make take me some time.
Blessings, Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment

All relevant comments are most welcome. However, please express any disagreement you might have without being disagreeable and with grace towards those who might not hold your point of view.